Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Sovereign Man?

My eyes lock the whites of yours
I watch as your chest rises and falls in rhythmic surges.
A line drawn in the sand determines our differences, as well as our stubbornness.

Who will be the sovereign man?

Brick by brick, I piled them on
A wall built, to which, no one may come.
And Lo! if you chisel and chip away, dust will fall on my feet!

Chip away, away, away.

Shall you continue to pass by the sand,
Or will we move together across this land?
I say, who will be the sovereign man?

Will you leave me just as you've left me? Dust and sand?
A pile of dust is a corpse for wind to carry.
Away, away, away.

Aim me at this sun. Aim me at the sky.
Will I ever make bricks again or will I just die?

I watch, as you scoop the sand with both hands, and sift it softly towards the land.
And the last bit of sand you release into the sky.
Into the wind I go, a corpse for the wind to carry by.

Your choice determines how I show.
Will you cross the line in the sand?
Hold my hand and cross this land.
Who will be the sovereign man?

You will make the line a trench to bury old grievances, mistakes, and betrayals?
May we bury the sadness? And cover it with dust and sand?

But no?

Then allow me to make the sand and dust into bricks again.
Mix it with my tears, so that I do not have to feel.

Brick by brick, I pile them on.
A wall built, to which, no one may come.
Never again, will we move across this land.
I hope you've chosen well, dear sovereign man.

No comments:

Post a Comment