Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Honor your Body.Mind.Soul

  As many of your know, I have battled depression for some years now. I have seen the course depression  has taken over me, and in turn, those around me. I have seen depression win and I have seen it lose. I am proud to say I am winning now, but it did not come without struggles. I have finally figured out my path and what it all means for me. I take the winning days as triumphs. Not with haste, but with pure joy, I celebrate life's many small accomplishments. Many hours, tears, troubles, therapy sessions, journaling, photography, painting, crossfiting and heart felt conversations helped me established a few things on the matter. One, you are not a victim to your mind and secondly, you must honor yourself. It is all about becoming a better person.

Being a victim is all about allowing negative thought processes.Victim mentality is very prominent in our society. 'Woe is me' seems to be the trending attitude. Without getting to much into it, I can say I reject that mentality and would say to those people, "Look up! You have the whole world around you.You are not a product of your mind, but a product of your soul." You must find it in yourself to break the chains your mind seems to create and become the person you are meant to be. God made us in His image for a reason.. to shine! But without the proper resources, or maybe just a good mentor, people fall into victim-like mentalities. You must work HARD for what you get and there is no easy way of doing things in this life. I think so many times people with this attitude expect things in life to come easy, when in reality, it is simply not so. Victims tend to think they are weak and everything bad is happening to them. Reversely, you must know that you are strong and that no matter what obstacles come your way, you can handle them. I use this verse as an example for such times:

"No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it."-  1 Corinthians 10:13

Bottom line:You are not special. Bad things happen to good people every day, but God is faithful and he will not let you fall.  He will provide the path for you so that you may grow from these experiences. Amazing! If people could think of it this way, what changes would we see in the world?

From my experience, the better you treat yourself (your body/mind/soul), the better you feel. To put it very simply: Honor God by honoring yourself. Take time out of your busy day to slow down and literally smell the roses!

What do you do for your body? I could not have battled depression without crossift. I have been practicing for 2 years now, and I absolutely love the feeling I get after a good workout. Some days it is very hard for me to get motivated to go, but when I do, I am so thankful for the opportunity. Now, I am not trying to sell crossfit to you (even though everyone should do it because it is pretty awesome), but I am trying to motivate you to stop feeling sorry for yourself and go do something for your body! The time is now! Take it one day at a time. You will love yourself for it. Do you have a dog? Why not enjoy a walk together? Something, just get out of the house and do something!

Eat high quality foods. This is hard, but my body loves me when I eat very clean (and so does my GI system- thus also pleasing Justin). So try and stay away from processed yucky food (anything in a box, soda, and refined things are not ok. Halloween candy; however, is ok.)

What do you do for your mind? I limit TV, but prefer to read, listen to talk radio or do crafts. I know I am 65!! But I love the feeling I get when I am snuggled up on the couch with a good book, or listening to talk radio, or in my craft room painting, or sewing. Perfection!

What do you do for your soul? For my non-religious friends, I would encourage you to do a morning journal/meditation session. Allow some spirituallity into your life. As for me and my house, we serve the Lord. I attend Lifechurch and absolutely LOVE it! I try to donate to local causes, and help wherever/however/whoever I can.


 So bla bla bla what did I really say? Do anything and everything that brings you joy. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. And honor God.



No comments:

Post a Comment